Objective: Learn that Lent is for our benefit and that we are to change through it.
Ask questions and give time for some of the kids to respond.
- Have you heard of the word “Lent“?
- Have you or your parents ever done anything special during Lent?
- Do you know what special event happens at the end of Lent? (ie. Easter)
- Mention that “Every Sunday during Lent we will cover one miracle of Christ!”
Lent: It is a time we focus of living simply to grow closer to God.
During lent we give up some things so we can concentrate of God better. The goal is to be changed. Hopefully we are changed into something more beautiful in God’s eyes.
- Maybe we will be kinder
- Maybe we will talk to God more
- Maybe we will be more thankful
Intro: Do you guys know any insects that also go through a period of change? They change and become beautiful? Explain butterflies start out as caterpillars, then form cocoons, then transform into butterflies. Just like in lent we are supposed to be “Transformed” / “Changed” throughout it.
We are going to make a butterfly cocoons stick in class like the picture below.
- Toilet Paper Roll
- Butterfly Picture
- Popsicle Sticks
- (To save time – do before class) – Color the toilet paper roll black with a marker
- (To save time – do before class) – Cut-out the butterfly template
- Color the butterfly
- Glue the butterfly to the the popsicle sticks
- Curl the butterfly wings and slide into the “cacoon”/toilet paper roll.
- Show how the butterfly can go in the toilet paper roll and come out.
Attach a kool-aid packet to each parent handout. The kool-aid packet is for an activity the kids can do with their parents.
Tell the students they have homework! They are to give the parent the piece of paper and go over it with their parents.
If there time remaining in class, go over the miracle of Jesus turning water to wine.
- Craft idea from:
- Butterfly template from: