Imagine today your family is told that Thirumeni (or another important) guest is coming for dinner.
- What preparations would go on at home? (Mention about cooking and the food)
- Would it be ok to heat up some left over macaroni? Would that be allowed or acceptable? Why or why not?
Background (for Teacher – and to share)
- Book of Malachi
- 4 chapters
- last book in the old testament
- Malachi means “my messenger”
- Historical Background
- Temple has been rebuilt
- Literary Style – “You say”… – then correction from God
Group Activity – Malachi 1:6-15
Pass out a printout of the passage and have the students:
- Circle all sayings/questions that the people are “asking/saying”
- Underline all the questions God asks
- What is the problem? / What were the people doing wrong?
- How can that apply to us?
Group Activity – Messenger – Malachi 3:1-5
Have the students work in groups to answer the following questions.
- In verse, 3:1 –
- How many messengers are there?
- Who is/are the messenger(s)?
- Read Malach 4:5 also – Who is referred to here?
- Compare these passages with Mathew 11:1-19
- Who does that passage refer to?
Group Discussion – The Full Tithe – 3:8-12
Have the student answer and discuss the following:
- How can man rob God?
- What is a tithe?
- What is tithe for high school students?
Presentation that can optionally be used in class for this lesson plan.