In Book 10 Lesson 35 and Book 9 Lesson 21 the Coptic church is mentioned as a sister Oriental Orthodox church. One way to make this lesson more alive is to organize a “field trip” to nearby Coptic Church and attend their Sunday service!
- Confirm that this OK with your Vicar / Principal / Any other administration
- Confirm with your Achen whether it is ok for the kids to take Qurbono/Communion there if they are prepared.
- Confirm that this OK with the parents of your class kids
- Reach out to a nearby Coptic Church
- Confirm with your Achen whether you or Achen should reach out
- List of churches:
- (Chicago – we reached out to www.stmarychurchofchicago.org)
- Ask any Seminarians/Youth Achen’s if they have any recommendations of a Coptic Church/Priest to reach out to.
- Things to ask when talking to the Coptic priest:
- Ask permission if it OK to bring your class there – have an idea of the number kids + parents coming.
- Is the service in English?
- Schedule a day that works.
- Note their lent / Holy Week dates may be different!
- Their service maybe different depending on when you go!
- Send a reminder email the week before to the Coptic church/priest that your group is coming.
- Talk to your kids – couple notes:
- If they are taking Holy Communion – they may require your lips to touch the spoon (not like us!)
- Tell them to look for similarities and differences in our services
- How communion is given
- The Altar layout and what is on the altar
- Curtain/No curtain
- Diptychs equivalent?
- Coordinate with parents how you are commuting there
After going (next Sunday):