Have student write what (and why) they consider the 3 most important events in American history. Use as starting point to looking into events in Old Testament story. (5 minutes)
Lesson – Sorting & Review
- Before class – print, cut, mix up the events listed in the following document:
( word / gdoc )
- Make some number of sets based on the number of groups you want to create.
- Split up the class into groups and have them sort the events in the correct order.
- Discuss each of the events
- Group the events by
- leadership: Time of Patriarchs, Judges, Kings United, Divided Kingdom
- empire: Egypt, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Roman (Persians/Romans are later)
- Review each of the events (have groups alternate give explanation of each event)
- Discussion points to bring up:
- God leading his people through various empires
- Varying leadership:
- Pre-Nation => Judges => Kings => No-king/Quasi-King(next lesson) => Eternal King (Jesus)
Verbal Quiz between groups:
- Who was Abraham asked to sacrifice?
- Why was Joseph being sold as a slave to the Egyptians eventually seen as God working to save his people?
- What is Manna?
- Who became leader after Moses?
- Name 3 famous Judges.
- Name the first 3 kings of Israel.
- In what context was Psalm 51 written?
- Who conquered Judah?
- Who conquered Israel?